Tuesday 19 June 2007

Iicence saga pt 2

I re-booked the driving test for the next Thursday (now last Thursday) the day after my first attempt. I then asked Janie Root if I could use her car for the test. She was very kind and supportive and even offered to take me out for a practice or two during the week.
I felt quite confident following the practice we had on Wednesday afternoon. So, in the morning after scripture classes, Matt and I headed down to the RTA for round 2.
Bob recognised me straight away and smiled. After a few minutes, he called me to the counter.
Bob was going to be taking me out for this test too.
After Janie's car was given the all-clear, we headed out on the exact same test route we had done a week earlier.
Upon our return, I was fairly confident I had passed. The only thing that had me worried was a little nudge I had given the kerb and the extra (4th) movement I made during my reverse park.
I watched nervously with Matt as Bob added up my score a few metres away. Bob doesn't give much away in his body language.
Bob congratulated me, I had passed!
I was still a little rough on the controls, but he reckoned that'd come with experience. Apart from that little tip, Bob said I had done quite well.

So, now I am a Provisional (P1) licence holder, I have been driving all over the place. As this weekend was mini-muster (musters are what Cornerstone calls its conferences. Mini-Muster is a mid-year one especially focussed on teams reporting back to centres), I did a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. A down side of having my licence is that yesterday I had to drop Matt off at the bus station to catch the 3:45AM bus to Dubbo. I have to take Aaron and Jaz (Jaz is from the Strathalbyn team, who were visiting for mini-muster) to catch the early-morning bus. The three of them are going to Dubbo for elective modules in the course that require face-to-face class time. But, I figure they have driven me to catch the bus a few times, so it's about time I returned the favour.

The new restrictions on P1 drivers are a bit harsh. I can't use a mobile at all- not even with a handsfree kit. Also, if I am caught speeding at all, I face a three month immediate licence suspension and a loss of 4 demerit points. That's pretty hard, since P-platers only get 3 points to start with. As well as this, not displaying your P-plate properly means a fine and two demerit points!

Driving Carefully,
Andrew Schultz

No comments: