Thursday 22 March 2007

A Trail of Interestingness...

I recently subscribed to the ‘Lazy Environmentalist’ podcast. This podcast focuses on how we can care for our world, while doing things we would normally do anyway (eg: hybrid camry, recycled plastic toothbrushes, energy efficient products, etc). Largely the change comes by harnessing new technologies. "A journey into cutting-edge innovation"

Any way, this morning I listened to “Easy solutions to Global Warming”, which mentioned this company who have developed a way of making nuclear waste environmentally benign, which is really cool.

I read the article mentioned in the podcast, and then decided to browse around the rest of the news site it was on, which brought me to their “Judaism” section, where I found another rather interesting article entitled “Are Animal Sacrifices Cruel?”.

Have a look at the articles and give some thoughts. Here are some of mine:

RE: Benign nuclear waste- I think this sounds really good, but I’m worried it’s too good to be true. Also, as Tab pointed out to me, just because it’s more economical, safer and environmentally sound, doesn’t mean ‘they’ will implement the technique/technology.

Re: Animal sacrifices- I don’t practice animal sacrifices myself. Nor am I Jewish, my beliefs do not require me to make such sacrifices, as I believe Christ’s death was the final and complete sacrifice. However, as to the ‘cruel-ness’ of animal sacrifices, I think if those doing the sacrifices do not have faith in them (that is, believe them to be futile) and practice them anyway, these people bring disgrace to themselves.

Generally, I think the statement

“We detest needless pain and senseless loss and we prefer to avoid it whenever possible”
is a good policy (I’m not sure the author agrees). I feel a twinge, hoping he is simply trying to be provocative when he says in the next paragraph
I propose that there is no difference between my preference for blue suits over black suits and my preference for the preservation of life over its destruction."
Such a statement is bewildering to hear from someone who shortly after asks and answers:
Why is cruelty to others undeniably and objectively evil? The only true, intellectually honest answer is that G-d deemed it so.
So, the Rabbi can understand that God has given us an inherent moral objection to cruelty, yet appears to deny its importance? Please correct me if you believe I have not read the Rabbi correctly!

I look forward to your comments.

1 comment:

Christop said...

I still have problems with nuclear power in that uranium mining contaminates the area from which it's mined, and that we're not in any position to have even one nuclear power plant built for quite a while yet, and we'd need an awful lot of power plants to maintain the sort of power we're currently using. Nuclear power also uses an awful lot of water.
For some reason not many people seem to be talking about actually cutting back on energy usage.